13 December 2012, LERU.org
The League of European Research Universities (LERU) has launched two statements on the importance of Open Scholarship: ‘Open Access to Research Publications’ and ‘Open Research Data’.
Download the LERU statement on Open Access to Research Publications (PDF 2 pages)
Open Access represents a conscious decision by the League of European Research Universities to investigate new models for scholarly communication and the dissemination of research outputs emanating from researchers.
Routes to Open Access
There are two basic routes: Gold and Green. The Gold route is concerned with publication in Open Access journals, and the Green looks to the deposit of materials in institutional or subject-based repositories. The adoption of either or both routes could lead to a transformation in the means of disseminating research...
Download the LERU statement on Open Research Data (PDF 2 pages)
- Universities need to note the move to data-driven research and take appropriate actions:
- Universities should implement data management policies;
- Technical/support infrastructures should be created to support research
- Advocacy programmes need to be established which address all the above issues and create clarity for the researcher in how to manage their publications and their data;
- Data-driven research is a global development. Universities, researchers and research funders should work together, where this is appropriate, to share infrastructures and best practice.